Established in 1996, the National Alliance for Caregiving is a non-profit coalition of national organizations focusing on advancing family caregiving through research, innovation, and advocacy. The Alliance conducts research, does policy analysis, develops national best-practice programs, and works to increase public awareness of family caregiving issues.
Recognizing that family caregivers provide important societal and financial contributions toward maintaining the well-being of those they care for, the Alliance is dedicated to improving quality of life for families and their care recipients through research, innovation, and advocacy.
Areas of Focus
- Caregiving Research Every five years, the Alliance publishes a benchmark study on family caregiving in the United States, in partnership with AARP. The updated Caregiving in the US report will be released in 2015. Additionally, the Alliance is working with Mental Health America to study family caregivers for persons with severe mental illness and on a study of young children as caregivers, as an update to our 2005 work. Learn more about our research here.
- Innovation and Technology In April 2014, the Alliance co-convened a panel on Catalyzing Technology to Support Family Caregivers, in partnership with Rajiv Mehta of Bhageera Consulting, and Richard Adler, of People & Technology. The panel included government officials from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and the Office of the National Coordinator, academics, Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and caregiving policy experts. Click here for the White Paper released after this event.
- Balanced Workplaces for Caregivers Building on the Alliance’s 2012 report on Best Practices in Workplace Eldercare, the Alliance has continued work with ReACT, a consortium of employers vested in caregiving employees as a means to build stronger companies. In Fall 2013, the Alliance, ReACT and AARP developed an Employer Toolkit to assist employers with establishing caregiver-friendly workplace environments. Learn more about partnerships here.
- State & Local Caregiving Coalitions The Alliance continues to weave together and strengthen the more than 90 state and local caregiving coalitions across the country into a strong advocacy network to help move forward state and federal healthcare policy. Our work includes an annual National Conference for Caregiving Coalitions and ongoing online support through webinars. Learn more here.
- International Caring The 2014 year marks the second annual meeting of the International Alliance of Carer Organizations in Helsinki, Finland. The purpose of IACO is to build a dynamic network of global caregiver support organizations. Participants at the 2014 meeting included Sweden, Canada, the European Union, the United Kingdon, Ireland, Finland, Australia, and the United States. Learn more here.