Established in 1996, the National Alliance for Caregiving is a non-profit coalition of national organizations focusing on advancing family caregiving through research, innovation, and advocacy. The Alliance conducts research, does policy analysis, develops national best-practice programs, and works to increase public awareness of family caregiving issues.
Recognizing that family caregivers provide important societal and financial contributions toward maintaining the well-being of those they care for, the Alliance is dedicated to improving quality of life for families and their care recipients through research, innovation, and advocacy.
Areas of Focus
- Caregiving Research Every five years, the Alliance publishes a benchmark study on family caregiving in the United States, in partnership with AARP, known at the Caregiving in the US studies. This foundational work examines the challenges facing America’s nearly 44 million family caregivers. In addition to Caregiving in the US, the Alliance studies special populations of caregivers, condition-specific caregiving, and innovations in technology, the workplace, and health care delivery. Learn more about our research here.
- Innovation and Technology In April 2014, the Alliance co-convened a panel on Catalyzing Technology to Support Family Caregivers, in partnership with Rajiv Mehta of Bhageera Consulting, and Richard Adler, of People & Technology. The panel included government officials from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and the Office of the National Coordinator, academics, Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and caregiving policy experts. This work followed earlier research to identify what caregivers want and need in technology to support the work of caregiving. Learn more about our technology work here.
- Balanced Workplaces for Caregivers Building on the Alliance’s 2012 report on Best Practices in Workplace Eldercare, the Alliance has continued work with ReACT, a consortium of employers vested in caregiving employees as a means to build stronger companies. In Fall 2013, the Alliance, ReACT and AARP developed an Employer Toolkit to assist employers with establishing caregiver-friendly workplace environments. Learn more about partnerships here.
- State & Local Caregiving Coalitions The Alliance continues to weave together and strengthen the more than 80 state and local caregiving coalitions across the country into a strong advocacy network to help move forward state and federal healthcare policy. Our work includes an annual National Conference for Caregiving Coalitions and ongoing online support through webinars. Learn more here.
- International Caring The 2016 year marks the fourth anniversary of the International Alliance of Carer Organizations in Helsinki, Finland. The purpose of IACO is to build a dynamic network of global caregiver support organizations. As Secretariat for IACO, the Alliance continues to identify global best practices in caregiving that can apply here at home. Learn more here.