Financial Planning for Caregivers
Join the National Alliance for Caregiving, WISER, and Genworth for a discussion of family caregiving and retirement.
Beth Ludden, Vice President of Long-Term Care Products for Genworth presented on new research from their “Beyond Dollars” report. Lara Hinz, the Director of Programs for WISER gave an overview of the “Financial Planning for Caregivers” workbook.
Missed the webinar? You can watch the replay at the link above or download additional resources on this topic:
- Presentation Slides: Financial Planning for Caregivers (PDF)
- Genworth “Beyond Dollars” – Research Summary (PDF)
- Genworth Conversation Kit – “Let’s Talk” (PDF)
- Workbook: Financial Steps for Caregivers: What You Need to Know About Protection Your Money and Retirement (PDF)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Managing Someone Else’s Money (Web Article)
2015 Family Caregiving Tele-Town Hall
We were honored to host the Family Caregiving Tele-Town Hall featuring the 2015 White House Conference on Aging Executive Director Nora Super, on Thursday, February 26th. This event gave family caregivers and caregiving advocates a chance to share their thoughts on the future of caregiving in America. Guest speakers included Ms. Super, Alliance President/CEO Gail Gibson Hunt, and Caregiver Action Network CEO John Schall.
The discussion centered around topics for the White House Conference on Aging:
- How does caregiving support healthy aging for America’s seniors? How can we support the healthy aging of caregivers themselves?
- Our current long-term care system relies heavily on the family caregiver to support the health and wellness of their loved one. How can the aging network better support caregivers as America ages?
- Many family caregivers take time out of their own careers to care for their loved ones. How can we help caregivers plan for a secure retirement?
- How can we equip friends and family to recognize signs of elder abuse (including both financial and physical abuse) and to take action to stop it?
Following this conference, the Alliance and CAN collected input from family caregivers and shared formal recommendations with the White House staff. To read the joint letter, please click here.
2014 Coalition Webinars
- Financial Planning for Caregivers, December 2014 Lara Hinz, M.S.W., Director of Programs at Women’s Institute for a Secure Retirement (WISER) provided an overview of the Financial Planning for Caregivers Guidebook and guidance on how to train family caregivers on financial planning. Learn about the key issues facing caregivers as they prepare for retirement. Download the Presentation Slides here.
- Implementing the National Alzheimer’s Plan in Your State, September 2014 The National Alliance for Caregiving, the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, and the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging joined together for a discussion of the new white paper, “From Plan to Practice: Implementing the National Alzheimer’s Plan in Your State.” National experts and case study author Donna Walberg of ACT on Alzheimer’s (Minnesota) discussed why states should have a plan, how to implement and evaluate plans, and best practices. Download the Presentation Slides here.
- How to Engage Family Caregivers in Your Coalition, June 2014 If you’ve been wondering how to get family caregivers involved in your work – now is the time to find out! With rural and urban perspectives, experts in coalition building offered their suggestions for getting family caregivers engaged. Featuring Gregory L. Johnson, MDiv, SMM of the NYC Family Caregiver Coalition and Kathleen R. Manny and Jane Jensen of the Family Caregivers Coalition in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin.
- Better Work, Better Care: How Employers Can Support Family Caregiving, February 2014 This webinar describes how to build caregiver-friendly workplace policies in your state. Bringing together caregiving experts and employers from the national ReACT Coalition, the webinar discussed how caregiving advocates can work with employers to raise awareness of the needs facing working family caregivers. Download the Presentation Slides here.